Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Homemade Harvest 2013 Artist - Thea Starr

Today you are going to meet Thea Starr, who will be selling her beautiful reclaimed vintage kimono fabric turned into precisely folded kanzashi flowers at the 7th Annual Handmade Harvest Open House.  Thea and I go way back, first meeting as Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames teachers and then at an EtsyRain Crafting at Crossroads gathering (which happen every first Wednesday in front of BubbleTea, hint hint).  I have always loved her work and get so excited when I see it in craft books (yes, I actually accidentally screamed once in a library, a la Will Ferrell as Elf, "I know her!").  I hope you are one of the lucky ones that can come by this Saturday to see her work in person!

Tell us a bit about yourself? Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
My creative business is what I do for a full time job. My other full time job is being a mother to my four children. In a different life I was a tax auditor. I lead a much more exciting life these days.


What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
I love sharing a small bit of history of my heritage with others.  I also love work created by hand. It's amazing what can be made by hand.

What other passions do you have in your life?
I am passionate about organic gardening. I believe in chemical free foods and urban gardening. My dad always kept a garden when I was growing up. I do the same now for my own children. Nothing has been more educational to me than learning about growing my own food.
How do you promote your work?
Over the years most of my business has been from word of mouth.  I have been lucky enough to have had press on my work on a large scale, but the most exciting work I get has been from customer to customer.

In the future I’d like to be…
Doing what I do now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment