Friday, September 19, 2014

Haute Sugary Interview



Tell us a bit about yourself?
Assalamu alaikum. You can call me Umm Aziza. I am a Native American Muslim revert from 2006 and a single mother to three lovely children. I am also a survivor of spousal abuse who was lucky enough by the mercy of Allah to break free alhamdulillah.

I currently reside in the heart of America (Kansas). My journey began a few years ago with the desire to learn how to make my own facial moisturizer so that I did not have to spend ridiculous amounts on creams that just didn't work or live up to their promises. I spent a lot of time researching and started off with a basic formula and tweaked it until I found something I was happy with. From there I was introduced into the world of scents and shortly after that was inspired to make my own makeup as well. Enter Haute Sugary!

Having an online business is a lot of work and I love every single minute of it!


Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
Taking care of a toddler (my other children are older) and trying to start up an online business is so time consuming. In addition to that I am busy trying to piece my life back together and give my children a stable home and life. It has been less than one year since this new chapter in my life has begun and with all the hard work and struggle I am learning about new strengths in myself.

What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
I am a lover of all things beautiful; in eyeshadow, makeup and in life. Everything has is it's own beauty. The way colors blend together on a canvas, the way ingredients combine in the makeup grinder, glitters sparkling and twinkling and bouncing the light of the room,the moment when oil and water emulsions combine, the innert beauty is my passion and inspiration but my biggest inspiration of all comes from my children. To be able to put food on the table, to buy them a toy or book; their smiles give me the will to go on, to push me and drive me forward.

Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?
I look up to and salute all the single mothers, stay at home mothers, full time working mama's and all those who strive in the way of Allah. I applaud all of your hard work and dedication.

What other passions do you have in your life?
 I wish to be able to help people out in the future by being an advocate and a voice for the victims of domestic abuse.

How do you promote your work?
I am not the best at self promotion and for now I use Instagram, and Facebook. In the future inshallah I wish to be able to participate in local events and have my own booth to boost local sales and to start getting my name out there.

In the future I’d like to be…
Self sufficent. Starting over from nothing and with nothing is a daunting challenge that I wish no one would ever have to endure. I wish to be able to leave behind a legacy of overcoming all obstacles and teach my children that with enough faith anything is possible.. never give up.. keep trying and always keep your head up with a smile on your face even when things look bleak and grim.

No comments:

Post a Comment