Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Little Smiles Boutique Interview


Tell us a bit about yourself?
I grew up in Toronto, Canada. I just love the liveliness of the city and its multicultural communities. It's a great mosaic. This is my home. I am a mother of 3 lovely kids. On my free time (which is limited!), I like to focus my energies on my 2 side businesses: The Olive Tree Soap Company and Little Smiles Boutique on Etsy. It give me the creative outlet I need to de-stress from everyday demands of life.

Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
I'm a domestic engineer (aka stay-at-home-mom) :) I actually homeschool my kids as well. It's a very rewarding experience. While teaching, to see that "ah-ha" moment in my children's eyes is priceless! And to be a part of that light-bulb moment is just so amazing. I also love the fact we get plenty of opportunities to bond and just being together, learning from each other. It's great!

What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
I like to draw inspiration from nature and my surroundings for my designs and creations. I also grew up watching my mother sew which had a great impact on me as a child. I would stay up late with her while she sewed our clothes for Eid, anticipating the final product. To see her transform pieces of fabric into something so intricate and festive was truly exciting. So when my eldest daughter was born, I was ready to reinvent these experiences for her. And guess what? She also sews now!

Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?
My parents have been my source of artistic inspiration in very different ways. My mother has been creative all her life. We had her oil paintings all around the house and I admired them so very much. She also frequently sewed clothes for us. My father on the other hand sang children's songs and classics from back home so we always grew up listening to him singing. He had a permanent gig at every family gathering, weddings, or just at home on his free time. It was a very lively home! I have fond memories I can cherish forever.

What other passions do you have in your life?
I've always loved science and anything related to it. It just fascinates and inspires me. It makes you ponder how truly small we are and how the system of this world is so intricately planned. It helps me appreciate God's creations. So, you can expect me to get a little more passionate during my science homeschool lessons!

How do you promote your work?
I'm a serious pinner on Pinterest. pinterest.com/down2earthsmile/
The visual display and structure really appeals to me. Funny, before Pinterest ever existed, I used to use this little known software called Portfolio by Microsoft to save links and photos that I would run into online...just like Pinterest except a lot more work! Pinterest just made my life much easier!
I also have Facebook pages for each of my shops:
www.facebook.com/OliveTreeSoapCompany
www.facebook.com/pages/Little-Smiles/113863498685715

In the future I’d like to be…
...content with whatever I'm doing. I would love to simplify and live a minimalist life...develop a real natural rhythm of living. I truly crave that and hope I can attain it.    

No comments:

Post a Comment