Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Women's Wellness Weekend - Spring 2011

I went up for the weekend to teach at the YMCA Camp Colman in Longbranch, WA. What a remarkable weekend it turned out to be.
I had originally decided that I wasn't going to tell anyone else about this job, or try to recruit any girlfriends to go with me, only because I really needed a people break. I love everyone and am a very social person. But lately, I've decided I've been to too many social events and really wanted to spend some time with myself. Between the Libyan rallies, lectures, fundraisers, playgroups, girl scouts, book clubs, workshops, and the other five hundred things that I attend on a weekly basis, I really just wanted to take a break.

So when the opportunity to teach Quilling at Camp Colman's Women's Wellness Weekend came up, I jumped on it and was looking forward to some me time. I must say I was ready for some beauty in nature, since I knew from having taught at the beautiful site of Camp Orkila in the past that the YMCA picks some astounding locations for their camps. But Camp Colman really took my breath away. It is in the Key Peninsula rested on top of a lake/lagoon that overlooked the Puget Sound and surrounding islands. In fact, you had to drive on this little graval inlet that separated the two bodies of water apart.

Our cabin were minimalist, having zero furniture other then bunk beds, but that was to be understood, since it has just finished being build two days prior. While there, I did get to visit in some of the other cabins, but I would say Freeman 3 (where I slept) was the best by far since it was furthest away from the others (less noise) and had that new wood smell (which reminded me of my past job as Gallery Manager for the Northwest Fine Woodworking). On my second day there, I took a book, chair and some water and was reading by myself on the porch, when some chickens decided to come by and say hello. After I found some peanuts in my car to feed them, we became best friends and they followed me around for the rest of my visit.

The camp meals were unbelievably fresh, nutritious, flavorful and colourful! I would dare say they even compare to the meals I've had at Sleeping Lady when I previously was a part of the annual Cultural Conference that was held there. And they had this wonderful Greek yogurt for breakfast that I could not really get enough of and keep sneaking more! I also tried acupuncture for the first time, got a facial and once again had a screaming good time on the giant swing. The staff was really something else and always went out of their way to make you feel special and comfortable.

But let's get to the fun part: my class! The write up about it had used the word "advanced" but really, Quilling is super easy to do by anyone over the age of 16. I taught two classes and the first one was full with over 14 students, and the second one had about 8 I think. The ladies really had a lot of fun with it, so much in fact that I brought my supplies out the final day and they created more over breakfast! Some of the cards were so creative and I really hope they pick up the tools to continue to make more quilld designs at home.

It was a much needed break from life and I really hope I get privileged enough to be asked again to go and teach another time. It doesn't even have to be Quilling; I'd go and do anything for a chance to be surrounded by so much beauty, relaxed women and chickens! I drove home, crossing the Tacoma Narrows bridge with Radiohead blasting on the radio, ready to come back to reality of kids, email, phones, work, volunteering and all that life has going on for me.

Here is a photo of trillium that were all over camp:

No comments:

Post a Comment