Sunday, November 8, 2015

Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball

It is less then a week till Homemade Harvest. There will be a number of returning artists, but also a few new artists, including Jennifer Schmidt from TheCatBall.
Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball (and Retro)

Jennifer and I have know each other for years, having spent a few Wednesdays together at Crossroads Mall. We used to gather for evening crafting circles and talk shop as members of a local Etsy group. It has been so fascinating to see her business blossom into an international sensation. I'm really looking forward to seeing what she'll be bringing now that she's gone back to handmade sewing.
Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball

Tell us a bit about yourself? Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
My business is The Cat Ball, LLC and I design and make cat and pet beds. This business has outgrown cottage industry production levels, and I'm spending a great deal of time learning how to manage administrative and organizational tasks rather than doing creative work.
Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball

What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
The work I'm bringing to this event is quiet, repetitive embroidery work that I engage in to clear my thoughts. I'm just trying to develop skill at embroidery while also enjoying the beauty of fabrics.
Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball
This embroidery work is all crazy quilting. I've collected scraps and vintage fabrics for years, and had a good time piecing the assorted fabrics together to create the patchwork. I enjoy the painstaking embroidery detail work even more.

Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?
I am really amazed by people who have created their own businesses and who have been trailblazers in their industries. It's tough work, requiring focus, dedication and some forward thinking.
Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball

What other passions do you have in your life?
I'm really interested in animal behavior, and am interested in developing products that may respond to animal needs.
Homemade Harvest 2015 Artist - The Cat Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment