Thursday, November 6, 2014

Homemade Harvest 2014 Artist - Sculpture Soap

Continuing our exploration of the fantastic artists that will be selling at the Homemade Harvest Open House, today we talk to Tito from Sculpture Soap. Since the beginning, HH has only had female artists selling, which makes Tito our first male artist.  I am so excited to see his wares in person on Saturday. Be sure to bring the kids so they can get a look at these soaps up close.

---

Tell us a bit about yourself? Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
Besides sculpting soap designs all day, attending to customer orders, and working in 3D, I am an active freshwater fly fisherman and a dad of two kids that my wife and I adopted 7 years ago.

What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
I have always been an artist first and a designer second. Having worked as an Interior Designer earlier in my life, I admit that I am more in touch with decorative things for the home than most men I’ve known. I’ve also had an extensive career as a video game artist. This enabled me to hone my 3D skills and to appreciate sculpting expressive figurative designs. Only now am I truly embracing what it means to be working as a traditional artist.

Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?.
There are several highly skilled 3D artist that I admire. However, the most well know sculptor that has had the longest impact on my decision to creating these uniquely sculpted soaps is the French sculptor, Auguste Rodin. I saw many of his pieces in Italy, the summer of 1987.

What other passions do you have in your life?
Sculpting is my main passion. Learning to live healthier is quickly becoming my second passion. Otherwise, learning to appreciate my family as we are, and making time for them consumes any extra time I may have in my day.

How do you promote your work?
As a fairly new business owner, I am enjoying attending local markets, street events, and seasonal festivals. For my first year in 2014, I’ve attended over a dozen different events so far. I have a schedule online at my website.

In the future I’d like to be…
 A better sculptor as well as a great husband and father.

No comments:

Post a Comment