Friday, November 8, 2013

Homemade Harvest 2014 Artist - Vanilla Bean

Of course saving the best interview for last means that it's time to get to know Della from the Vanilla Bean, who is returning to the 7th Annual Homemade Harvest Open House due to popular demand.  She sold out of a few treats last year, so you might want to get there early to get ahold of some of her delicious goodies she'll be bringing.  Della and I go way back, having meet through a mother's group when our first born daughters were young.  It's so great to see her bake because I know it brings her so much joy.   And it brings us sweets!

Also this is a reminder that the Homemade Harvest event is very kid friendly.  So be sure to bring them, it will be good for them to see you support your handmade community.

Tell us a bit about yourself? Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
I have two kids and two step kids, and we have all four every other week!  It works out really well- I have a week of joyful chaos and a week of peaceful silence! :-) I'm on two PTA boards, and volunteer in several areas at the three school they attend. I am also about to start volunteering at A Safe Place in Everett, where kids go while foster families are being found.

I also have another business I opened with my fiancé last year! We sell hummus, baba ghanoush, and other dips at farmer's markets in the summer.

I love reading and dreaming about renovations I want to do to my house!  :-)


What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
Who doesn't love cake and cookies?! Treats make people smile, and I love making people smile!


Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?
I look up to anyone who follows their happiness, even when it make life more difficult for awhile.


What other passions do you have in your life?
I've been trying to change our eating habits, and eat more unprocessed, whole foods (yes, seems counterintuitive to baking...moderation in all things!). I love finding recipes that are healthy AND my kids will eat them -- not an easy task!

I have a really wonderful tribe of friends, and a lot of my own happiness and sanity comes from the time I spend with them.


How do you promote your work?
Right now it's all word of mouth. I'm concentrating a bit more on my other business, so baking is something I do on the side, for my own enjoyment.


In the future I’d like to be…
able to fully provide for my family with baking and hummus! That would really be living the dream... ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment