Monday, January 20, 2014

JanLuc Designs Interview


Tell us a bit about yourself?
My name is Dina, I am a Muslim American with Italian and Circassian roots, born and raised in NJ. I started sewing in high school and haven't stopped! The lack of modest but stylish clothing in the marketplace has motivated me to design many of my own clothes and swimwear, and now I am offerering these items for sale through my Etsy shop.


Apart from being ‘creative’ what do you do?
I work full time in NY's fashion industry as a technical designer while raising my three quirky kids! I also volunteer at my local community center and teach Sunday School.


What inspires you to do the kind of work you do?
I love blending modesty and fashion,. I am inspired by current fashion trends and then translate them into styles that are appropriate for women seeking modest clothing. I really believe that modest clothing can and should be beautiful, and a joy to wear.


Do you look up to anyone? Who? Why?
The modest fashion industry is still very young, right now I can't say there is a specific designer I admire. I hope one day someone will be able to look up to me!


What other passions do you have in your life?
Traveling, cooking, reading, art, interior design.


How do you promote your work?
By word of mouth, through my local community, here on Etsy and on my Facebook.



In the future I’d like to be…
Designing and selling my products full-time

No comments:

Post a Comment