Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Embracing my inner Cameljocky

When we first came to America, millions of years ago, otherwise known as the 1970s, my English wasn't very good. Although while I was living in Libya I did go to a British private school, I was still forced to do the 2nd grade again when we arrived. So it was lost on me when someone in Oklahoma called me a cameljocky, the racist insult for a person of Arabian origin. The reasoning being that when we lived in Libya, we actually lived in downtown Benghazi, in a big city apartment building. I had never seen a camel!

It wasn't until years later when I saw a camel (in a zoo of all places) that I realized how amazingly beautiful these animals actually were. First of all, it was huge! But what I loved most was the skin. I loved the colour of their skin because it sort of looked like my skin colour. It was olive and very different then the white skin of my American friends. I decided to collect these beautiful beings and didn't really care that their name was in half a word that is commonly utilized in a derogatory fashion to describe anyone from the Middle East. I decided to embrace my inner cameljocky.

I found these beauties last week at World Market’s ornament section

Today I found this cutie at Value Village and I put one of the ornaments next to him to get an idea of his size

I'm going to try to take more photos of my collection and post it up here over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment