Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Women's Wellness Weekend - Fall 2015

A Crafty Arab beehive quilled star made for Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Five years ago I started teaching quilling at Camp Orkila for their Women's Wellness Weekend.
My work room had a great view at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Every time I go, I have a great time, sharing my love of quilling, while enjoying a new craft, being outdoors, and meeting new people.

I just returned from four days on Orcas Island and once again feel refreshed and ready to take on the world. I taught a class on Saturday and one on Sunday and was able to take Friday and Monday off to enjoy the island.

I arrived on Friday morning and immediately went to Orcas Island Pottery to have lunch. I sat looking over the bay while soaking up sporadic sunrays.  I decided not to climb the tree house this trip and simply enjoyed playing catch with the house pug. Even though it's not spring, there were still some lovely salvia's that had beautiful blooms sprinkled all around the outdoor ceramics displays.
Hot Lips Salvia - Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Saturday's class was full with students and I actually ran out of tools!
Saturday classroom at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Here are works from some of my talented students.
Flower box made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015
Earrings made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Heart quill at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015
Earrings made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Mother and daughter cards made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015
Card made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Card made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

On Sunday over 85% of the participants headed home to family and only a few people came to the afternoon class.
New baby 1st Christmas card made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

Card made at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015
While I enjoyed the energy and buzz of the large Saturday class, I equally enjoyed the intimacy and bonding from only teaching a couple of students and getting to know them personally. A few more people came to the end of the Sunday class and we sat around and shared birthing stories. Impromptu storytelling at its best!

While on the island I brought chocolate from Kathryn Taylor, because I love coming home with my initials on chocolate, stopped at the post office to mail in my voting ballot and had some copies made at the library in Eastsound. I enjoy walking around town and seeing all the new things that have been put into place from the last visit.

Once at Camp Orkila, I managed to get in some pajama yoga, zip lining, biking, reading, catching up on some blog posts and having a morning of peace, praying and doing yoga on the beach.
Pajama yoga at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015
Zipline trolleys at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015
Quiet time at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

The new craft I learned was needle felting. I made this adorable little sheep with tiny individual balls of wool on its back. 37 of them. Just in case you'd like to know. Of course I think I punctured myself twice that many times with the needle, but I didn't count. :)
Sheep needlefelting at Women's Wellness Weekend - Camp Orkila Fall 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment